List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    Re: [Bridge] Ethernet tunnel over ppp with bridge?
From:       Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh () gnu ! org>
Date:       2002-02-06 9:50:18

Hi,

When tunneling ethernet with linux, the big question is: do you want to
do RFC-compatible ethernet-over-ppp or not?

If so, you're out of luck.  As far as I know, the linux ppp implementation
doesn't support ethernet encapsulation.

If it doesn't matter, it's your lucky day!  Get a copy of vtund
(http://vtun.sf.net/), and setup an ethernet tunnel between the two
tunnel endpoints.  This is a tunnel that runs over plain IP, so it will
work between any two hosts that have IP connectivity.  After you get
the ethernet tunnel running, enslave the ethernet tunnel device together
with the physical ('real') ethernet port to a bridge port group and move
any IP addresses you had on the physical port to the bridge device.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Lennert