List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    pxafb: a patch and a bug/question
From:       Richard Purdie <rpurdie () rpsys ! net>
Date:       2005-08-26 11:58:54

I have this patch queued which hopefully nobody will object to:

pxafb: Add hsync time reporting hook
http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/patches/pxafb_hsync-r2.patch

I've also noticed a bug with pxafb. If you run fbset and set a
resolution other than the LCD panel resolution, you can totally mess up
the screen/lcd controller and in my case need a complete hardware reset
to break the lockup. To me, you shouldn't be able to set an unsupported
resolution and the check_par function needs to be improved. Hardware
damage could result otherwise.

Is there any hardware which can cope with resolutions other than the
panel resolution?

I realise some panels can support double pixels so a 640x480 panel can
do 320x240 but does anyone use this kind of functionality with pxafb as
it stands? Normally, even to do double pixels, you need two panel
definitions with the different margin sizes etc.

If nobody has an objections, I'll work out a patch so the resolution can
only be set to a supported panel size. I'll also look to see if we can
easily support multiple panel definitions to allow video mode changes
(like w100fb supports).

Richard