List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: "Rules of the Road" Needed for CRAMFS Root
From:       Matthias Welwarsky <mwelwarsky () web ! de>
Date:       2005-03-01 9:56:12

On Monday 28 February 2005 19:11, Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:
> Hello Everyone:
>
> This may not be the ideal forum to ask this question, so please do steer
> me somewhere else if necessary...
>
> We're interested in using CRAMFS for the root filesystem on our embedded
> device.  Operationally, I think I understand how to do it.  But I am
> concerned about the fact that CRAMFS lacks current (.) and parent (..)
> directory information.  Does this mean that symbolic links that refer to
> "../foo" will not work?  If so, do people who are using CRAMFS have to
> construct their root filesystem in such a way that no "../" references
> are made?

Well, depending on how featureful your system is, it might affect you or not.
Since it's embedded, I think its purpose is rather focused and you can
probably very well live without relative symlinks.

> Any other CRAMFS tips/gotchas would also be appreciated as we embark on
> this effort.

No UIDs > 255, and there's a time penalty involved when starting an
application - it must become uncompressed before it get's executed. However,
if the CRAMFS is in FLASH, you can can also XIP from there. This way you can
save on RAM and startup time on the expense of FLASH.

regards,
	matthias