List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: 2.6 module loader in 2.4?
From:       Matthias Welwarsky <mwelwarsky () web ! de>
Date:       2004-12-02 17:40:58

On Thursday 02 December 2004 17:20, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 04:22:59PM +0100, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > did (just by chance) anybody look into backporting the 2.6 module loader
> > code into 2.4? Is it self-contained enough to try?
>
> The concise answer: no, because it's pointless.
>
> Of course, you could take a 2.6 kernel and edit the top level makefile to
> give it a 2.4 version number - that's probably the quickest and easiest
> way to achieve your goal.
>
> Otherwise, you have the replacement module infrastructure for linking,
> plus the changes to the module code, changes to the _way_ module use
> counting works, all the buggy drivers which use MOD_INC_USE_COUNT,
> the build infrastructure and so forth.  To backport the module loader
> into 2.4 you're essentially looking at what I mention in my second
> paragraph.

I'm basically interested in the relocation code. I need signed kernel modules
and am unfortunately stuck with a 2.4 kernel. I think it's impossible with
the 2.4 way of loading modules. Since insmod relocates the module, it'll also
break every signature before the kernel is able to verify it.

regards,
	matthias