List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: 2.6 module loader in 2.4?
From:       Russell King - ARM Linux <linux () arm ! linux ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-12-02 16:20:59

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 04:22:59PM +0100, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> did (just by chance) anybody look into backporting the 2.6 module loader code
> into 2.4? Is it self-contained enough to try?

The concise answer: no, because it's pointless.

Of course, you could take a 2.6 kernel and edit the top level makefile to
give it a 2.4 version number - that's probably the quickest and easiest
way to achieve your goal.

Otherwise, you have the replacement module infrastructure for linking,
plus the changes to the module code, changes to the _way_ module use
counting works, all the buggy drivers which use MOD_INC_USE_COUNT,
the build infrastructure and so forth.  To backport the module loader
into 2.4 you're essentially looking at what I mention in my second
paragraph.