List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: ATAG for MAC address???
From:       Marc Singer <elf () buici ! com>
Date:       2004-07-28 15:13:19

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:30:23AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > > If necessary, board dependent helper functions may be provided (maybe
> > > even with [weak] default implementations).
> >
> > Maybe. But those helper functions must not live in the driver otherwise the
>
> I did not suggest that they do. Being architecture or board dependent
> code they should be implemented in  architecture  or  board  specific
> source files.

This sounds similar to the other, implementation specific resources
that we pass to drivers in struct resource.  Since the structure is
obviously static, perhaps we're talking about adding a function
pointer to code that can retrieve the MAC.  This specific solution
seems like an abomination to me since this would be an overload of the
resource structure.  Still, the principle may find a home.

Cheers.