List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: Direct-mapped Compact Flash on ARM9
From:       Greg Ungerer <gerg () snapgear ! com>
Date:       2004-07-02 4:57:26

Hi James,

James Graves wrote:
> By the way,
>
> I should have mentioned that I'm trying to interface to an I/O card
> (specifically a wireless LAN card).

I have been working on something similar to this just recently.
Hooked up a compact flash slot (and using a WLAN CF card) to an
IXP425 based board.

This particular hardware implementation was hooked up raw in a
somewhat simplistic way to the general expansion bus, not using
any specific pccard/cardbus interface device. (It did implement
both 8 and 16 bit accesses using a double chip select setup).

I wrote a simple pcmcia ss driver for it. Not much was needed
for a minimal implementation on a simple bus like this. The
advantage of this is that I dnd't need to do any modifications
to pccard drivers (like orinoco which I used).

The one thing that has caused me grief though is that I need to
use appropriate in/out calls now, for different drivers. For example
the default in/out on the ixp425 architecture platforms point at
the PCI bus. I want that for PCI drivers. But now I need the in/out
functions for any pcmcia/pccard drivers to point at the expansion
bus space mapped in my simple pcmcia driver. Anyone have any comments
on a clean way to handle this?

Regards
Greg