List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: q:cf/pcmcia
From:       Ian Campbell <icampbell () arcom ! com>
Date:       2004-06-23 6:39:31

I'm not sure why you are starting a new thread instead of continuing the
existing thread on the subject -- it makes it quite hard to follow.

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 01:41, zxk wrote:
> but,I want my cf card to run at memory work mode because
> AT91RM9200 can only work memory mode.

I think you are confusing the access method for the CF card (I/O vs.
memory mapped) with the function of the CF card ('memory', 'fixed disk',
'network'). The two are not necessarily related.

I think you should compile IDE + IDE CS support, etc, into your kernel
and load them up -- I think you will be pleasently surprised.

All CF (and PCMCIA) cards can be accessed using either (or both) memory
mapped or I/O mapped accesses. However, on ARM platforms there is no
concept of an I/O address space like there is on i386 so the CF cards
I/O address space is actually memory mapped to some memory region. The
fact that your platform 'can only work in memory mode' doesn't matter
since there will be a memory address region which translates into i/o
accesses as far as the CF card is concerned.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell, Senior Design Engineer
                                        Web: http://www.arcom.com