List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: Slightly OT: LVMing root file system & other Linux on z best practices (or not so best).....
From:       Scott Rohling <scott.rohling () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-05-04 17:58:22

Linux 'is' Linux on any platform...  the underlying hardware and potential
for advantageous use/setup are not.    I think you 'do' want your Nix guys
to see this as 'any other platform' ---    When you're talking about
supporting a very large number of servers - that's a 'good thing'.    When
it comes to architecture and setup of Linux on these platforms ---  you
still want anything you do differently to be as easy to deal with as you
can (arch specific packages, etc) so those poor Nix support folks don't
have to be platform experts.    (All IMHO of course)..

Root on LVM never phased me...   With the proper recovery process (bootable
'maintenance' Linux w/o LVM and access to other guest disks)  this
shouldn't be a major deterrent...   you want such a thing anyway.

z/VM support access depends on your separation of duties and how you staff
things..   'vmcp' and most of the s390-tools utilities require root
access...   There is always a need for root access by 'someone'...  and as
others have said - sudo is the standard retort to root access.

Sharing/RO stuff can be implemented on any platform...   though the methods
may differ.

I tend to underplay the differences -- as I think most subscribers do ?

Scott Rohling