List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: OOM-Killer shut down SSh
From:       John Summerfield <debian () herakles ! homelinux ! org>
Date:       2010-02-14 1:37:05

David Kreuter wrote:
> My experience is with the effects of the OOM killer. Perhaps with Linux
> on a desktop it is ok

Not really, in my experience it's rarely the guilty party that gets
clobbered, so the problem can persist for some time, with performance
degrading all the while.

Not everything on a desktop is critical, and what is important is in the
eye of the beholder. I say, be generous with RAM, it's cheap and
certainly cheaper than lost time, either of the user or of the person
delegated to investigate.

--

Cheers
John