List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: zipl, bootmenu and FCP devices
From:       Mark Ver <markver () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2010-02-13 0:21:39

> Am I reading that right?  "Only for DASD disk devices"?    Does this
> mean that I have no alternative and no means to build a boot menu?

Unfortunately this seems to be a feature of the scsi load mechanism.  The
boot configuration sections are still there, but it never puts up an actual
menu to allow for dynamic selection.

A target boot configuration can still be selected via the cp "set loaddev"
command, ex:
      set loaddev bootprog 2
      ipl a100

But the user has to know ahead of time which configuration matches which
bootprog number.

If it helps any, it is possible to write a rexx script based on the boot
menu that you put in zipl.conf to query user input.  Then have it run the
loaddev bootprog command to set the correct number before doing the ipl.

For an LPAR scsi load the bootprog number corresponds to the "Boot program
selector" entry field.

- Mark Ver

office:  Building 710 / Room 2-RF-10
phone: (845) 435-7794  [tie 8 295-7794]