List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Using \lyricsto for small variation in repeats to match lyrics
From:       Aaron Hill <lilypond () hillvisions ! com>
Date:       2019-08-27 1:12:50

On 2019-08-26 3:34 pm, Michael Wagner wrote:
> When I am entering music into lilypond, I come across situations where
> a measure or two of a repeated bit of music has a slight melodic
> variation and I wold like to associate the appropriate lyrics with
> that measure.
> [ . . . ]
> I might be able to a align the lyrics with the appropriate voice using
> skips, etc., but it seems as though using \lyricsto would be more
> elegant.
> The examples in the manual that use \lyricsto seem to be assigning the
> equivalent of a whole verse to a voice. Can I align a part of a verse
> to a voice?

As far as I can tell, \lyricsto does not have a direct way to specify a
limited scope, since you only get to provide the name of the context.
To restrict alignment to only a particular subset of notes within a
Voice, you would need to explicitly separate out those notes into their
own named context to use with \lyricsto.

LilyPond provides a NullVoice context that makes it easy to include such
an extraction of notes to be used just for timing but not display.  I
use this feature quite a bit, mainly because I also use \partcombine
which is not compatible with \lyricsto; but that is another story.

-- Aaron Hill