List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Sponsored feature request--cross-staff chords, ties
From:       "=?UTF-8?Q?Trevor_Ba=C4=8Da?=" <trevorbaca () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-29 14:40:07

On 8/29/06, Steve D <groups@xscd.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 06:22:44PM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> >
> > Trevor Bača wrote:
> > >Yes, exactly. The notes can be separately articulated, with separate
> > >accidentals and so on. What the notes share will be spanning stems and
> > >a single beam.
> >
> > OK. This is a completely different feature than what Steve is looking
> > for. It's also quite a bit easier, I suspect.
>
> Yes, that does seem different. It's true that my interest in cross-staff
> chords centers around their use in the context of two adjacent staves
> connected by a brace such as is used for piano or other polyphonic
> instrument such as organ, harp, harpsichord or marimba.
>
> However, I'm willing to sponsor both types of cross-staff chords (for
> adjacent and non-adjacent staves) if they become considered as different
> features.

OK, I'll help sponsor both, too. The first case (Steve's case) is a
true voice that happens to notate on two or more adjacent staves; the
second case (my case) is more typographical and connects notes in
(possibly nonadjacent) staves to give a textural look-and-feel to
stuff that happens in across the score.

I'm happy contributing to both; I think both affordances will have their place.

--
Trevor Bača
trevorbaca@gmail.com