List:       licq-main
Subject:    Re: [Licq-main] licq uses 32.000 KB memory??
From:       Paul HoHo <paulh () inline ! net>
Date:       2000-03-27 17:59:25

At 07:38 PM 3/27/00 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Mär 2000, Mark Deneen wrote:
>
>> Hehe.. Mine is only 86mb.  :)
>
>AGP adds another 256MB, that's where those numbers are coming from.

I know this thread is going off-topic, but when you say AGP adds another
256MB, is that literally true?  I've only got the 2.2.x kernel so I can't
take advantage of the AGP in my system, but does this mean that once I
upgrade my kernel, X is going to be using 256MB more of RAM?

Sorry, I know I should probably be asking these questions in a Linux newbie
list.

PaHo

>> /proc/PID#/status is the right place to look I think.. but do you want
>> VmData?
>
>that means unshared segments, which would be a good starting point. however
>the runtime linker takes up much of those memory. In addition all those
>numbers are just the "address space" that is reserved for this process. That
>doesn't equal to the same amount of physical RAM.
>
>Exact size can't be measured afaik as long as you don't use tools like
>purify or similar. I havn't done that yet because I didn't find any tool
>that works for multithreaded apps.
>

>Dirk

Paul Hoepfner-Homme
paulh@inline.net