List:       licq-main
Subject:    Re: [Licq-main] licq uses 32.000 KB memory??
From:       Mark Deneen <deneen () bucknell ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-27 18:08:36

On 27-Mar-00 Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mär 2000, Mark Deneen wrote:
>
>> Hehe.. Mine is only 86mb.  :)
>
> AGP adds another 256MB, that's where those numbers are coming from.

I have agp as well, but my aperture (spelling?? ;-) size is only 64mb.  I think
I can set it larger in the bios, but I'm not going to do that unless I get some
more ram.

>> /proc/PID#/status is the right place to look I think.. but do you want
>> VmData?
>
> that means unshared segments, which would be a good starting point. however
> the runtime linker takes up much of those memory. In addition all those
> numbers are just the "address space" that is reserved for this process. That
> doesn't equal to the same amount of physical RAM.
>
> Exact size can't be measured afaik as long as you don't use tools like
> purify or similar. I havn't done that yet because I didn't find any tool
> that works for multithreaded apps.

Could you just do a difference calculation?  ie "X amount total free before, Y
amount after?"

Perhaps threads/agp stuff messes with the total free calculation as well.

--
Mark Deneen
http://tick.dhs.org ICQ: 333068

Peterson's Admonition:
        When you think you're going down for the third time --
        just remember that you may have counted wrong.