List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: kate's "Open Folder..." feature
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-02-11 12:11:03

On Sonntag, 11. Februar 2024 11:46:43 CET christoph@cullmann.io wrote:
> On 2024-02-11 08:50, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I think, too, that it does what users of other editors expect and
> >> moving
> >> or renaming will not make it better.
> >
> > Ok.
> >
> > What about the second part of my question: how are users supposed to
> > find out
> > that they need to "Open folder" a cmake build directory, in order to
> > get a
> > project with all build targets and all sources files for their source
> > directory
> > ?
>
> Hi,
>
> just like today, you already need to do it now,
> that doesn't change.
>
> More documentation and a blog post won't hurt,
> the standard user will just search the web for it.

Maybe the functionality for getting the build targets would be better in the
build plugin instead of the project plugin.
Then the project plug in would fill in the source files via git etc., and the
build plugin could have a menu entry "Load build targets from cmake build
tree" or something like this.
Then also getting the list of files via cmake wouldn't interfer/clash/conflict
with getting the list of files via git from the project plugin.
And I could have target sets for multiple build trees at the same time. This
would be actually better than via the project plugin.

Sounds good ?

Alex