List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: kate's "Open Folder..." feature
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () mailbox ! org>
Date:       2024-02-11 11:38:35

On söndag 11 februari 2024 12:46:43 EET christoph@cullmann.io wrote:
> On 2024-02-11 08:50, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I think, too, that it does what users of other editors expect and
> >> moving
> >> or renaming will not make it better.
> >
> > Ok.
> >
> > What about the second part of my question: how are users supposed to
> > find out
> > that they need to "Open folder" a cmake build directory, in order to
> > get a
> > project with all build targets and all sources files for their source
> > directory
> > ?
>
> Hi,
>
> just like today, you already need to do it now,
> that doesn't change.
>
> More documentation and a blog post won't hurt,
> the standard user will just search the web for it.

I have a hunch that the workflow to manually run cmake in a terminal and then
after that open the build folder with Kate, to get the CMake-Project, is not
what most users would expect.
I think most users would expect is to "open a CMake project" by "opening" the
CMakeLists.txt and then Kate would create the build directory and run the
configure command(s).

/Kåre