List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Styles in KF5
From:       Andrey Matveyakin <a.matveyakin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-24 21:41:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Matthew Woehlke <
mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On 2014-02-23 16:41, Andrey Matveyakin wrote:
>
>> Ok, I see that dsDataType and dsFunction are sometimes recognized by
>> list-based lookup. If so, I don't understand the dsExtension rule. Many
>> things can be an extension, not just a keyword, but also a control flow
>> (e.g. Qt "foreach"), a data type, variable or function defined in a
>> library. Which will be marked as dsExtension? All of them or only
>> non-control-flow-like-keyword ones?
>>

> If you look at C++ there is already an "extensions" attribute. This is
> used for e.g. signals, connect, but not Qt control flow (foreach) or types
> (uint), which use the same attribute as built-in of the same. (But
> Q_FOREACH I believe uses "extensions".) So while your point is valid, FWIW
> a simple dsExtension matches existing usage.
>
> I see dsExtension as more of a "language extensions", not just things
> implemented by some library (e.g. not functions, and probably not data
> types either). IOW, things like signals, SIGNAL, slots, SLOT, connect
> (although this one is dubious), Q_OBJECT, Q_CONSTEXPR, Q_OVERRIDE, etc..

Now it clear that I've posed the wrong question. Thank you for clarifying
how everything is, but what I really meant to ask was: how it should be? Is
it really good that "int" and "uint" are highlighted in exactly the same
way? If we are going to use C++/Qt scheme by default it is important to
make it comfortable for all C++ programmers. A beginner in C++, who knows
nothing about Qt, can type "uint" and believe that everything is ok since
it is highlighted like a standard type. Yes, we've already said that Kate
is neither semantic nor even a syntactic analyzer, and that among great
number of thing that look good only few can compile (and even fewer --
work). But still: is this behavior more helpful than confusing? I'm not
sure.

Sorry for nonconstructive criticism. The only alternative seems to
introduce separate dsExtensionKeyword, dsExtensionControlFlow,
dsExtensionFunction, dsExtensionDataType, and so on, which is probably too
complicated both for us and for users. Or may be, it's not. I don't know.

Am I the only one who feels it is odd that only keyword extensions are
highlighted separately? If yes, let's just close the topic.