List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: qt4.xml -> qt.xml
From:       Sven Brauch <svenbrauch () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-23 11:05:56

Hi,

On Sunday 23 February 2014 14:50:37 Alex Turbov wrote:
> I prefer to think that if smth gets highlighted, then it is available. so
> doing qt4 project I definitely don't want to see any qt5-only features,
> cuz they are useless for me at this time, and I don't want to recall or
> refer to qt4 docs to make sure it is qt4 feature and not a qt5 one...
Yeah, but the highlighting is wrong often enough *anyways*. Even when you use
the Qt highlighter, it will highlight "connect" in lots of places where it's
not going to compile or work.

> as far as I know `kate` stands for "K Advanced Text Editor" -- i.e. it is
> not a "reader" or "viewer" -- it is EDITOR (it is primary goal -- to edit
> the code!)
I don't get this. When you're working on code you always spend a lot of time
reading it...
And of course syntax highlighting is for reading code. What else would it be
for.

> I think it is not! I don't want to see qt stuff when doing pure C++ project
> (and be annoyed why ordinal method `connect` from, for example
> boost::signals library or POSIX sockets gets highlighted)...
I give you that. I personally think it's useless but I can understand that you
want it. But let's not overdo it -- the C++ and C++/Qt distinction is a fair
compromise.

> again: `kate` is an Advanced editor -- i.e. it is not a newbie oriented IDE
> -- "advanced", means the user is qualified enough to use it... and he knows
> how to do that he wants (he is aware that kate is capable to do, and not
> lazy to read docs)
> actually I'm (already) getting tired to change all that defaults (oriented
> to "stupid users?) when I start a new kate session (I use per-project
> sessions, sometimes even few different sessions (w/ different pre-opened
> files) for one project, if latter is big enough)
See? Exactly my point. If you chose defaults which are very specific for one
particular group, most groups will end up changing an endless amount of
settings. If you only offer a joint C++/Qt highlighter, nobody will need to
change it; if you split it into 17 variants like Andrey said, 16 of 17 users
will have to change it.

> I'm getting sad when kate move towards that kind of system (usable by
> fools)...
So it's bad when kate cannot be used by inexperienced users?

> because C++/Qt projects is just a subset of much more bigger superset of
> C++ programs! Why others should suffer because someone thinks that C++ is
> for Qt projects (only)?
"suffer"... well. Not sure if having a wrong keyword highlighted here and then
can be qualified as "suffer".

> > People who care can then change away from
> > it and that will affect *less people than the other* way round.
> how do you know that? did you do some poll?
Let's do a poll!

> > .kateconfig files are imo not an argument, because -- let's face it --
> > most
> > people are not going to use them.
> so are we guilty that ppl do not read the docs for `kate`?
No, the guilt comes from requiring a complex setup for having simple things
work near-optimally.

> yeah, I don't use IDEs either, but .kateconfig is a way to set per project
> modelines (not all that IDE-like bullshit like compiler/build options and
> others).
I may remind you that Milian and I are working on an IDE and we don't consider
it "newbie bullshit".

Greetings,
Sven