List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Styles (take two)
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2014-02-18 16:02:03

On 2014-02-18 04:06, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> Ok, next round. The current list looks as follows:
> Legend:
>   '-': already exists
>   '+': new, and makes a lot of sense (only these will survive in the end)
>   '?': new, really needed?
>
> Text
> - dsNormal
> - dsKeyword
> + dsExtension   (same as keyword, e.g. Qt, tr1, and other extensions)
> + dsControlFlow (or dsStructure, if, else, switch, continue)
> - dsFunction
> - dsDataType
> + dsVariable    ($bla in php or perl)
> + dsOperator    (for +-*/::<> etc..., lots of languages define this)

See C&D.

> Strings & Characters
> + dsRawString   ('' in Perl, CoffeeScript and Bash, r'' or r"" in Python)
> ? dsSpecialString (was dsRegExp previously)
> ? dsSpecialChar   (no idea what this is?)

+1. dsSpecialChar would be used for "escapes" or otherwise stuff that
has special meaning inside of a dsSpecialString (i.e. your original
dsRegexOp proposal), similarly to how dsChar is used for escapes in
dsString now.

(And no, I wouldn't use dsSpecialChar for escapes in dsString; I would
leave it dsChar as always, and probably also use dsChar for
escape-to-make-not-special in dsSpecialString, at least where
dsSpecialChar is used to mean 'special' in dsSpecialString, e.g. regex
operators.)

> Numbers & Types
> + dsBoolean     (true, false, TRUE, FALSE, often used in languages)

As others have commented, I'd also prefer something that would include
built in special values that aren't Boolean, e.g. None, nullptr,
nullopt, etc. And maybe built-in variables in CMake.

> Comments & Documentation
> + dsDocumentation (e.g. @brief in doxygen, or """ in Python)

Actually I was hoping this would be *all* doxygen (or more pedantically,
would replace dsComment for doxygen).

> + dsAnnotation  (e.g. @... in Java, @param in Doxygen)
> + dsCommentVar  (e.g. foobar in "@param foobar", etc...)
> + dsInformation (e.g. @note)
> + dsWarning     (e.g. in doxygen @warning)

I'm still not sure about having so many "comment markup" items. With
that divide, I feel like we're missing a dsAttribute in the Normal
section for e.g. Python decorators, C++ attributes, etc.

> Notifications
> - dsError
> - dsAlert       (TODO, FIXME, HACK, doxygen: @todo)

Right now though alert.xml is also using two overrides of dsAlert. Do we
not cover those? (Do we stop doing that? I'd be okay with that option
too, TBH...)

--
Matthew