List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Styles (take two)
From:       "Philipp A." <flying-sheep () web ! de>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:09:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

whoops, didn't get the round 2. OK. all together:

1. 2014-02-17 23:49 GMT+01:00 Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de>:

    > Can you elaborate why you want to have [dsBuiltin], and how it
differs from
    > dsKeyword, dsFunction, dsConstant?

    * dsKeyword: keywords. class, if, else, break, continue, match, switch,
yield, function, def, try, raise, …
    * dsFunction: function/method declarations, i.e. the function name
after the function keyword: defun …, String …() {}, function …() {}, def
…():
    * dsConstant: NAMES_WITH_UNDERSCORES per convention
    * dsBuiltin: functions, classes, etc. which are defined in the default
namespace: e.g. http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/functions.html and the
types like int, set, …, http://golang.org/pkg/builtin/

    i agree,  is maybe to much. those are special constants/singletons like
true, false, null, … we could highlight them as constants or keywords.

    i still definitely want dsBuiltin!

2. dsBuiltinValue, dsValueKeyword or dsLanguageConstant are all the same
thing, and imho preferable to dedicated dsBoolean, dsNull, dsEllipsis, …

    the clarity issue can be fixed with *good documentation with examples
about what all the styles mean*!

3. eureka! i've got an idea about rawString and specialString/regex:

    how about dsVerbatimString and dsSpecialString (as well as
dsSpecialChar) both?

    dsVerbatimString could be used for raw strings and markup verbatim
sections and dsSpecialString/Char for LateX math mode and regexes (and
their special escape sequences inside).

    i think that's best, because ruby, perl, and coffeescript (at least)
all have both raw strings and literal regexes, and dsVerbatimString is a
more versatile name as "raw string".