List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Switching to Python 3
From:       Sven Brauch <svenbrauch () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-12 16:36:52

2013/11/12 Todd <toddrjen@gmail.com>:
> Right, that was my point.  With something like iPython, it shouldn't be much
> more difficult to support both python 2 and python 3 than just one or the
> other, you just need either the user or the distro to set the right command
> to execute.  Supporting two versions wouldn't be any more difficult than
> just allowing two commands to be set (which for something like iPython,
> which has a lot of flexibility with different profiles, might be a good
> thing even without python 2 support).

That is not the case. It's a bit hard to explain, maybe you best look
at how it is implemented-- it ends up using the version of ipython
which kate was linked against. Setting two commands would only work if
you would be happy with running the ipython CLI thingy in an existing
terminal (e.g. konsole kpart), which is not what is currently being
done -- ipython provides its own widget which is embedded in a
toolview.

Greetings,
Sven