List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Switching to Python 3
From:       Sven Brauch <svenbrauch () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-11 16:57:22

On Monday 11 November 2013 12:55:06 J. Pablo Mart=EDn Cobos wrote:
> Because the pep8,
> pyflakes and parse syntax checker will report errors, because the syntax =
is
> different in python 2 and python 3.
Okay, I looked a bit more and this is indeed a valid concern.

The problem is that some of the plugins (pep8 and the ipython console, at =

least) call straight into the mentioned tools and do something with them, a=
nd =

the tools (e.g. ipython console) will be the version of the language kate w=
as =

linked against.

For most of the tools the solution is imo easy: e.g. pep8 should just be =

called as a program and the output should be parsed. It's very simple ... y=
es, =

not as elegant, but who cares.

For ipython however it's less obvious ... I'm not sure how the problem coul=
d  =

be solved here. The only solution I found is based on creating a widget and =

then letting a new process draw into the widget, but that sort of sucks =

(especially I'm not sure how portable it is). That's more work and more bad =

than just keeping the current situation, so not worth it imo.

What I said earlier in the thread was referring only to what language shoul=
d =

be available for writing the plugins, assuming plugins which are just doing =

stuff but not actually _importing python tools and using them in-process_.
For this issue, I'm not sure how to proceed. Possibly the "link against bot=
h =

libs" is indeed the best solution.

Greetings,
Sven