List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Xdebug support
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhaumann () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-11-10 10:44:43

On Saturday 09 November 2013 13:11:06 Javier Garc=EDa wrote:
> Hello.
> =

> I wonder if adding support for Xdebug to Kate would be possible.

Short answer: Why not?

> Xdebug uses DBGP, a common debugger protocol for languages and debugger UI
> communication.The specs can be found here:
> http://xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php
> =

> There is a Kdevelop plugin which implements it already but I didn't manage
> to compile it.
> http://nikosams.blogspot.com.es/2012/10/kdevelop-xdebug-php-debugger-beta=
.ht
> ml
> =

> There are almost no graphic clients for Xdebug in Linux. I've been using
> Kate as my daily PHP development IDE since the KDE 3.x days and I don't
> want to be forced to use a thick Java IDE just for debugging so it would =
be
> great if Xdebug support is added.

One could write a Kate plugin that allows simple debugging based on Xdebug.
This is basically the same as the GDB plugin [1], just for Xdebug.

If you plan to add such a plugin, you are welcome to develop it inside the
Kate repository. We'd also be happy to answer any questions, or course :-)

Starting point for Kate development is http://kate-editor.org/get-it/
Following this page, you quickly get a working development version of Kate
and you can start hacking on Kate or add plugins. You can look at how
the gdb plugin works in order to set the current execution position etc.

Greetings,
Dominik

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/applications/kate/repository/revi=
sions/master/show/addons/kate/gdbplugin