List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request 110059: Consistent behaviour of wordNext()
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-29 15:36:50

On 2013-04-27 04:54, Alex Turbov wrote:
> and I strongly believe, that if Kate targeted for programmers (and
> other IT guys), it _must_be_convinient_for_programmers_ (cuz a source
> code is a most typical document type they edit)...

You know, I *am* a programmer by trade :-). Just because you like it one
way and belong to a certain category of users, doesn't mean all such
users prefer your way.

If anything, my experience is that source code tends to have operators
and other such symbols between words that tend to mitigate the claimed
advantages of your way.

> despite of 'traditions' like "true Qt way", "everybody (kmail or
> kcalc) do this in other way" & other crap... -- they just work w/
> 'traditional' texts (i.e. human readable, not a computer program
> source code)

I do happen to think the Qt way is the right way, but mentioning it was
as much to point out that there isn't one way that everyone *but* kate
is doing it.

I also reject the notion that consistency is not an argument. There is
value in consistency in addition to other arguments for one way versus
another.

> After more than a week of usage kate w/ this patch, I feel much
> better when edit my source code (no more angry and irritation)! And
> regardless how this review end, I will continue to use `kate` w/ this
> patch... For me there is NO WAY BACK!

Conversely, I absolutely hate how the GTK way feels 'unpredictable'...
and ctrl-left / ctrl-right not using the same 'anchor lists' just feels
plain wrong.

--
Matthew