List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Syntax highlighting files
From:       "Paul A. Giannaros" <paul () giannaros ! org>
Date:       2008-10-28 20:09:09

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Dominik Haumann <dhdev@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have lots of syntax hl files. Users probaby don't need 99% of them :)
> We already have a download system on the kate-editor homepage.
>
> What about this proposal:
> - kdelibs/kate/syntax/data
>  all xml files shipped with the default KDE installation
>  -> provide a sane base
>
> - kdelibs/kate/syntax/addons
>  all additional xml files that are not included in the official KDE
>  packages. To still make them available, our scripts on the kate-editor
>  homepage can include those hl files in the index for download.
>
> So all those addons are still in KDE svn and still available for download,
> just not included per default. Would also speedup kate startup a bit.
>
> What do you think?

I'd question the original premise. It sounds like the main reason for
this proposed change is that there are too many files, and removing
them may have the added bonus of slightly improved startup times. I'd
argue that the value they add by being there and working automatically
is much greater than any minor starting speed up.

I think the real problem is that the highlighting list is becoming too
large in the application. Why not have a simple dialog with a search
filter when you want to set the current document's highlighting? Or if
you want to keep the menu, do so for the most common types and have an
"Other..." option at the end that opens up a dialog.