List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Syntax highlighting files
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-10-28 18:35:20

Anders Lund wrote:
> I suggest that we consider some
> mechanism to search for a downloadable highlight for the current file if there
> isn't one?

Add another +1 (Ivo made the same suggestion also). I'd probably suggest
keeping a list of registered handlers (i.e. the mimetype and glob match
lines from each highlighter) alongside the usual configs and downloaded
highlighters. That way we can quickly look if a file matches
known-but-not-downloaded highlighters.

What would be awesome is if we could generate this list before a release
and ship it, then we can tell users that there is a highlighter they
don't have even if they have no internet at the moment. We can also then
skip on trying to update the list automatically. (We'd update it when
checking for - or downloading - new highlighters; otherwise you just get
a new one with each upgrade.)

> Or loading the files from the internet automatically when needed?

That might be a little much, though I won't complain if you want to make
it optional (but off by default).

...but feel free to try to convince me it's okay to go grab something
from the internet without asking first :-).

--
Matthew
ESNR: signal to noise ratio too low (try a mailer without disclaimers)