List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Syntax highlighting files
From:       "Ivo Anjo" <knuckles () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-28 18:16:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Dominik Haumann <dhdev@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have lots of syntax hl files. Users probaby don't need 99% of them :)
> We already have a download system on the kate-editor homepage.
>
> What about this proposal:
> - kdelibs/kate/syntax/data
>  all xml files shipped with the default KDE installation
>  -> provide a sane base
>
> - kdelibs/kate/syntax/addons
>  all additional xml files that are not included in the official KDE
>  packages. To still make them available, our scripts on the kate-editor
>  homepage can include those hl files in the index for download.
>
> So all those addons are still in KDE svn and still available for download,
> just not included per default. Would also speedup kate startup a bit.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Dominik

I just contribute the occasional patch, so don't mind me too much, but are
the startup time differences and highlight sizes really that big?

Because I would think that separating more rare stuff would pose a
discoverability problem for users, most don't really know that you can
download more highlights, or how to do it, so they will assume that kate
just doesn't know how to highlight that more rare format they just opened,
and that's it.

One of the things I love about kate is just that: it supports a lot of
formats, out of the box. I can go to any linux pc on my university, open
kate, and have all the highlights, instead of having to go download some
highlights for 30-60 minutes of work (on obscure languages I occasionally
have to use).

I think that at least if they get separated, it would be nice if kate still
had a list with their mime-types, so at least it could display a
firefox-type info bar at the top "Click here to download support for
highlighting this file"; that would at least solve the discoverability
problem, and it would make it easier to download for a quick edit session:
after all, it's just 1 click away.

Ivo