List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Syntax highlighting files
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-10-28 17:57:56

Dominik Haumann wrote:
> we have lots of syntax hl files. Users probaby don't need 99% of them :)
> We already have a download system on the kate-editor homepage.
>
> What about this proposal:
> - kdelibs/kate/syntax/data
>   all xml files shipped with the default KDE installation
>   -> provide a sane base
>
> - kdelibs/kate/syntax/addons
>   all additional xml files that are not included in the official KDE
>   packages. To still make them available, our scripts on the kate-editor
>   homepage can include those hl files in the index for download.
>
> So all those addons are still in KDE svn and still available for download,
> just not included per default. Would also speedup kate startup a bit.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds okay, but I expect some argument over which to keep shipped by
default :-). I assume we'd include at least these, though?

makefile, C, C++, cmake, bash, html, xml, css, doxygen*

...and probably these:
java, diff, perl

...and possibly (as I'd guess them to generate the loudest complaints):
fortran, obj-C, obj-C++, ruby, automake

(*doxygen is needed because it is used by C++, so we also need
dependencies of any of the above. I think this also means php and
javascript at least.)

Basically, I see keepers in two categories: most used (with admitted
weight being given to "used in KDE development" :-) ) and most expected
to be present, and most likely to get loud complaints if dropped.

--
Matthew
ESNR: signal to noise ratio too low (try a mailer without disclaimers)