List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: find
From:       Sebastian Pipping <webmaster () hartwork ! org>
Date:       2007-10-02 17:55:10

Anders Lund wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> Anders Lund wrote:
>>> Another is to make RETURN hide the widget, and let something else
>>> activate the next and previous buttons - in addition to (shift) F3 maybe
>>> TAB in the search widget?
>> I don't like to lose the possibility to trigger another search
>> with an easy to hit key combo. Especially on a laptop F3 can be
>> a PITA. I like Gedit's <Ctrl>+<G> much better but that's Go-To-Line
>> for us...
>
> What? If you prefer c-g to f3 for search again, you can easily do that
> privately.

I'm better at hitting-non-F keys so it's not just
F3 sucking bigtime. Oh, I sent that to the list...

(Hitting F1 instead of F2 is my "favorite"...)

>> Hm, maybe I could live with <Ctrl>+<Return> doing that
>> and <Return> colsing the dialog as you suggest. How do you
>> feel about that?
>
> ... or just giving the editor focus? In fact that leaves the find dialog
> visible, so one can see the current search string and click buttons for those
> liking that (oh, that should of course also return the focus to the editor
> immediately) ...

The problem is keeping a bar open (that is not supposed
open all the time) and stealing focus from it.

So again my suggestion is make
* <Return> search and close the bar, and
* <Ctrl>+<Return> search and keep it open.

That's a solution at least you and I could be happy with.
Or did I misunderstand you?

Sebastian