List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Invoking Javascript scripts via keyboard shortcut? (Or something
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-06-14 22:05:50

On Thursday 14 June 2007, Randy Kramer wrote:
> Using kate 2.5.6 (kde 3.5.6, Kubuntu 7.04)
>
> I'm writing some scripts in Javascript which I can invoke by
> using the kate command line, i.e., <F7>
>
> Is there a way to assign such scripts to a keyboard shortcut or
> something similar so I can invoke them more quickly than by invoking
> the command line and then, for example, scrolling up and down through
> history?

Unfortunately not, yet. Even in KDE 4 this is not implemented right now, but
it's on the todo-list to somehow bind scripts/commands.

> Maybe via dcop?  Re: dcop: One problem that I've run into so far with
> dcop (attempting to use it for a different purpose) is that I run
> multiple instances of kate and I haven't found a way for dcop to
> recognize the instance I'm using, so if you suggest using dcop, please
> consider this as well.

As soon as the kate application is started, kate exports its process ide in
the environment varialbe $KATE_PID. Of course this variable is only
available in kate and not globally. But if you use the external tools it
might work.

Dominik