List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Syntax highlighting based on the output from a program
From:       Alex Collins <alex.collins () orbisuk ! com>
Date:       2006-11-28 14:19:52

I work a lot with TCL, and have access to a nice little program called
procheck which is pretty similar to lint for HTML.

I want to write a plugin that will underline and highlight in red errors
identified by this program when the customer clicks check button, and
probably the save button as well.

This is fairly similar to the XML Validation plugin by Daniel Nader.

I.e.

User clicks check.
Kate writes the file to /tmp
A script is run on the file in temp.
The output is parsed (using regular expressions) to provide a list of
ranges.
e.g. a syntax error exists at line 56, between characters 23 and 34.
Kate highlights that line in red.

My real issue is that I've never done QT or the related languages and I
was hoping to find someone that would help me out doing this, or point
me in the direction of some good pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Alex