List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Script menu and co
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2005-04-27 17:36:30

Wednesday 27 April 2005 15:10 skrev Christoph Cullmann:
> <zitiere wer="Anders Lund">
>
> > Some people use this feature a lot, and the external tools does not
> > really provide a replacement. So I'd say wait a bit yet.
>
> this is really used? have we any documentation added about this? and how
> does any user know which stuff he can do in the scripts if he is no
> hardcore dev
> looking up the dcop interfaces of the part? I really would like to drop
> that in favour of the kate part jscript engine and the external
> commands,which should be able to do same by just starting the shell script

Apart from Ian, I talked to some people using this in #kate. So yes, it is
used.

Afaik there is no kate specific documentation, but it's not that hard. The
main problem for people is usually getting to the correct document/view.

The main advantage compared to javascript is the ability to use external apps.
I plan to clean up all our shell interactions at some point, and then
interacting with commands will be possible in a manner that can be described
as the external tools combined with textfilter, but with more flexibility
again. That would be good enough I guess.

-anders

--
www: http://alweb.dk
jabber: anderslund@jabber.dk