List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Some Preliminary Ideas for 4.0
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2005-03-05 13:20:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 March 2005 14:26, Anders Lund wrote:
> Given kscript will work as well as Ian suggests, it will be fast enough. If
> there is a interpreter loaded, and the kscript engine calls dcop methods
> directly, it should be fine speedwise.
even alone the redirection over dcop sounds not good, given the amount of
calls even simple indenters or whatever will produce

> My own main concern is the way the script API will look to the user,
> calling methods using the confusing dcop interfaces is not acceptable. We
> need to be able to do something like
>   [kate.]activeDocument.insert("string", line, col)
> etc. But we should be able to do that, either by the means of a local
> kscript plugin, or by adding options to the global one allowing to tweak
> the interfaces in such a manner.
even more important, this has to work on part level, I really don't think this
should go over dcop at all, look at yzis, there lua stuff is easy to
understand, powerful and fast

> The main advantage is that using kscript, we will leave the choice of
> language to the user, to the extend kscript can interface the desired
> language. As I allready said, python is working, ruby is close and others
> will follow. I suggested lua as a candidate to Ian as well, and I of course
> believe that perl is a must ;)
all are much to slow to use at part level I would say, there might even be the
need to have multiple interpreters running at once, I don't think this is a
good idea to use such big languages for the part side scripting, to script
whole apps like kate/kdevelop/... and extend their functionality, menus or
whatever, me thinks this is all fine, but for the high speed stuff we need in
the core, I don't think this is the way to go, really

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team