List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Some Preliminary Ideas for 4.0
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2005-03-05 13:26:23

On Saturday 05 March 2005 13:44, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Scripting (we don't have any yet do we?)
>
> anders mentioned here kscript, I don't think this can be our way to go,
> it's just plain to slow, if our scripting should be at all useful, it must
> be blazing fast,   to e.g. allow indenters be written as scripts, like in
> emacs, we can't just load a python engine, that won't do the job, or use
> bash scripts, that's all fine for overall app scripting, where speed is not
> really any problem (who cares if it tags 0.x secs to filter a whole doc
> through some bash script), but if we want indentation as scripts or other
> stuff which is time critical, we need to go the way yzis goes I guess,
> using some small and fast language like lua to make us happy

Given kscript will work as well as Ian suggests, it will be fast enough. If
there is a interpreter loaded, and the kscript engine calls dcop methods
directly, it should be fine speedwise.

My own main concern is the way the script API will look to the user, calling
methods using the confusing dcop interfaces is not acceptable. We need to be
able to do something like
  [kate.]activeDocument.insert("string", line, col)
etc. But we should be able to do that, either by the means of a local kscript
plugin, or by adding options to the global one allowing to tweak the
interfaces in such a manner.

The main advantage is that using kscript, we will leave the choice of language
to the user, to the extend kscript can interface the desired language. As I
allready said, python is working, ruby is close and others will follow. I
suggested lua as a candidate to Ian as well, and I of course believe that
perl is a must ;)

-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk