List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Naming conventions?
From:       Richard Smith <kde () metafoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-14 0:47:59

On Thursday 14 October 2004 01:25, Jesse wrote:
> Quoting Richard Smith <kde@metafoo.co.uk>:
> > It's unfortunate that some editors are broken this way. Kate is, for
> > instance. I'm working on an auto-indent mode (for Kate) which fixes that
> > right now. I've already got it working for the case you describe above.
>
> Actually, I wrote Kate's cstyle auto-indenter so any auto-indent
> improvements can be made there. Is that what you meant?  BTW, if Kate sees
> that it needs 10 spaces worth of padding and tab-size is 4, it's smart
> enough to insert 2 tabs and 2 spaces.

Trouble is, that's not smart. That's the brokenness I'm referring to. You
can't represent indent width as a single integer - it's either number of tabs
and number of spaces, or it's a string containing the whitespace, copied from
wherever. I prefer the latter (that's how my indenter works).

> Are you talking about making the code look good after you change tab/space
> settings? If so, the current cstyle indenter can do this already too.
> Albeit in a somewhat manual way; 1. Change settings 2. Select All and 3.
> Use the Align action to align the selection.

The point of using tabs is that you don't need to do this. And that method
doesn't work for aligning comments.

> If you haven't noticed, it supports indent-on-paste too :)

Yep. It often gets the indentation wrong, and breaks your layout if you use
tabs, I notice. Heck, even the doxygen auto-* stuff (nice though it is)
randomly indents about seven tabs when I press semicolon.

> If it doesn't do this, it's either a bug or misconfiguration. Drop a mail
> by kwrite-devel

It seems to be doing something other than what I would want by design. I did
email kwrite-devel a while back with a description of how things were, what I
wanted, and a patch. My email got a total of zero responses.

Moving discussion to kwrite-devel, where it should be. Please keep me CC'd,
I'm not subscribed.
--
Thanks,
Richard