List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: syntax highlighting
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2002-04-17 14:32:21

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 02:08, Dave Leimbach wrote:
> I am VERY new to kate..  Modular syntax highlighting seems very cool.  How
> about modular indentation/style rules to go with it?  Does this already
> exist?  How much estimated work would it be to do it.
>
> When I say "style rules" I mean the sort of styles you can get  when using
> Emacs like 'c-set-style 'stroustrup for C++ etc.  Also I think the addition
> of a style rules engine will help get the "as you type" word wrapping
> worked on if its not being worked on already since I would want the
> style-engine to format the text dynamically anyway.
>
> What do you think?  Is this too heavyweight an idea for Kate?
>
> If you like this idea I need some guidance as to where such code may need
> to be plugged into kate.
>
> Dave

Hi again Dave,
the option of setting indent rules based on memetype/extension/hl is on the
TODO, you could go to http://kate.kde.org for a look at that.

The design is undecided on, and it is a medium difficult task. It also
includes reding emacs and/or vim tags from the files during loading. Imo, the
indent settings should be seperated from the TAB width setting, and indention
sould be specified as char, either \t or space (' ') and a number. So the
document must have a property for that, and it sould be read/saved to session
config and be decided during load based on user configurable rules, and some
resonable defaults provided.

-anders