List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: About dyn. word warp
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2002-03-29 17:23:39

On Friday 29 March 2002 17:58, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On Friday 29 March 2002 16:14, jowenn@bigfoot.com wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > >1. enhance  QIntDict <int> m_lineMapping;
> > > to  QIntDict <LineStruct> m_lineMapping;
> > > with class LineStruct { in line, int startCol, bool
> > >wrapped }
> >
> > Sounds good, looks similiar to what I had in mind
Question: Why does we need the lineMapping thingy at all and not just put the
stuff in the lineRanes which are

class KateLineRange
{
  public:
    int line;  // who am I ?
    int startCol;  // where does I start
    int endCol; // where does I end ;)
    bool wrapped;  // be I wrapped
    int start;  // in pixel for update
    int end;  // same here
};

and therefor have allready the stuff in it we need ? or does the lineMapping
goes wider than the current visible stuff ? if not, we should drop it and
merge it with the lineRanges, as they are even faster then the hash as a
plain and little array.

> > >2. only allow to scroll to "real lines", which means
> > >that switching between
> > >dyn. wrap mode / no dyn. wrap wouldn't change the
> > >vertical scrollbar, as you
> > >can only scroll with it to real lines (like you can now
> > >in folding mode, but
> > >not to partial lines), this is as it emacs does and has
> > >a good performance
> >
> > What is, if somebody writes a line, which is wrapped
> > larger than a whole screen height ? I don't know if
> > someone does such stupid things though.
>
> That would be a problem, but on the other side: Why kill performance only
> for some stupid users which don't know how to hit the return key ? I think
> we should follow the style emacs uses in this area and not try to support
> "stupid" behaviour ;).
>
> > Kind regards
> > Joseph Wenninger
> >
> > PS: Sorry if this mail looks terribly broken, but since
> > my latest HEAD update, I can't send mails with kmail
> > anymore, so I use the web interface of my provider. Which
> > isn't easy either, because most of the text on the
> > webpage is squares, instead of characters :(
>
> No prob ;) Hope your kmail will work again soon.

Christoph Cullmann
Kate/KDE developer
cullmann@kde.org
http://kate.kde.org