List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Heuristic Analysis for KWrite and Kate Menus
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2002-03-25 20:12:56

Hi,
nice mail about usability of kate/kwrite and possible problems, open for
disccusion ;)

Subject: Heuristic Analysis for KWrite and Kate Menus
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:08:37 -0500
From: Irwin Kwan <emerald-arcana@rogers.com>
To: cullmann@kde.org

Hello Chris,

My name is Irwin Kwan and I'm writing to you from the KDE Usability Group.

I have noticed some differences between Kate and KWrite especially dealing
with the Menu Settings.  I have written up a draft document with proposed
usability changes for the two applications to make them more consistent.

Currently, the documents are still in draft format and are awaiting comments
from the rest of the KDE Usability group.  However, I thought I would let you
know that there are some studies being done on the two applications from a
usability perspective.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or explanations about the menu
 ordering of the two applications, please feel free to inform me at
emerald-arcana@rogers.com or the KDE Usability mailing list at
kde-usability@master.kde.org.

As stated above these documents are still in draft and a concensus has not
been reached as to how KWrite and Kate should be modified.  If you have any
ideas or visions about how KWrite and Kate should look and behave, please let
me or the Usability group know!

Thank you for your time,

- -- Irwin

~~
I've performed a heuristic analysis of the KWrite and Kate Menus and
 Toolbars.

The files are included for your viewing.  Please look them over and comment
 on what you see.  Please make recommendations as you see fit.

Apologies for the lack of any real format.  That's what you get for writing
impromptu text files.

Please offer any criticisms and comments, about both the documentation and
about the usability of the two applications in question.

FILE DESCRIPTIONS:
kate-menus.txt: The Kate Menu Order and Contents
kwrite-menus.txt: The KWrite Menu Order and Contents

modifications-kate-kwrite-menus.txt: Analysis and recommendations for KWrite
and Kate Menus
modifications-kate-write-toolbars.txt: Analysis and recommendations for
 KWrite and Kate Toolbars

- --
- -- Arcana

Christoph Cullmann
Kate/KDE developer
cullmann@kde.org
http://kate.kde.org
["kwrite-menus.txt" (text/plain)]

KWrite Menus as of KWrite 4.0 (KDE 2.92)

Order:

File Edit Bookmarks Tools Settings Help

Contents:

File
	New
	Open...
	Open Recent >
	---
	Save
	Save As...
	Export >
	Close
	---
	Print
	---
	New View
	---
	Quit

Edit
	Undo
	Redo
	--
	Cut
	Copy
	Paste
	Select All
	Deselect
	Toggle Block Selection
	--
	Go To Line...
	--

Bookmarks
	Toggle Bookmark

Tools
	Spelling...
	--
	Indent
	Unindent

Settings
	Show Toolbar
	Show Statusbar
	Show Path
	--
	Configure Shortcuts...
	Configure Toolbars...

Help
	KWrite Handbook
	What's This?
	--
	Report Bug...
	--

["kate-menus.txt" (text/plain)]

Kate Menus as of Kate 2.0 (KDE 2.92):

Order:

File Edit Document View Bookmarks Settings Help

Contents:

File
	New
	Open...
	Open Recent >
	--
	Save
	Save As...
	Save All
	Export >
	--
	Reload
	Open With... >

Edit
	Undo
	Redo
	--
	Cut
	Copy
	Paste
	Select All
	Deselect
	Toggle Block Selection
	--
	Find...
	Find Next
	Find Previous
	Replace...
	--
	Find in Files
	--

Document
	Back
	KDE Scripts >
		Convert file text to lowercase
		Test Shell Script
	Highlight Mode >
		Normal
		Sources >
		Markup >
		Scripts >
	End of Line >
		Unix
		Windows/Dos
		Macintosh
	--
	(Document List)

View
	Split Horizontal
	Split Vertical
	--
	Show Icon Border
	Show Line Numbers

Bookmarks
	Toggle Bookmark
	Clear Bookmarks
	--
	(List of Bookmarks)

Settings
	Show Toolbar
	Show File List
	Show File Selector
	Show Terminal Emulator
	--
	Configure Shortcuts...
	Configure Toolbars...

Help
	Kate Handbook
	What's This?
	--
	Report Bug
	--

["modifications-kate-kwrite-menus.txt" (text/plain)]

Heuristic Analysis of KWrite and Kate Menus and Toolbars

Heuristic Analysis of KWrite and Kate Menus by Irwin Kwan (Emerald
 Arcana).
2002-03-24
version 1.01

Versions of KWrite and KEdit tested:
	Kate 2.0 (KDE 2,92)
	KWrite 4.0 (KDE 2.92)
~~~

~~
MENU ORDER
~~

I recommend the following order for menus in Kate.

	File Edit View Bookmarks Tools Document Settings Help

I recommend the following order for menus in KWrite.

	File Edit Bookmarks Tools Document Settings Help

-Why?
	This keeps the first five items in the identical order, and the last
 two in
 identical order.
	'View' is Kate specific and is added in the middle.
	'Document' added to KWrite for overall consistency.

* Up For Discussion: The top-level menu order (should we put Document before or after \
                settings, etc.).
* Up For Discussion: Where to put some options such as Panel-splitting and File \
                lists: perhaps in a new Menu named 'Window'?
* Up For Discussion: The naming of some of the menu items: Document -> Window?  View \
-> Window?

~~
FILE MENU
~~

The File menu for both of the applications should be very similar.  I
 recommend
 the following order for Kate and KWrite:

File
	New
	Open...
	Open Recent >
	--
	Save
	Save As...
	Save All*
	Export >
	--
	Reload**
	Open With >**

*KWrite should not have 'Close All' or 'Save All'.
**If these two options, Reload and Open With are considered too
 heavyweight they
 may be safely removed from KWrite.

Kate changes:
-There are no changes between Kate and this new proposed menu.

KWrite changes :
-Open With added to KWrite.
-Reload is added to KWrite.
-New View is renamed to New Window to better reflect the functionality
 of the
 button.
-The 'Close' button moved from under 'Export' to over 'New Window'
	I put this at the bottom to ensure that 'termination' is separated to
 avoid
 accidental closing of files.
	Note: this may break a consistency viewpoint, because Save, Close, etc.
 are all
 file operations.

 ~~
 EDIT MENU
 ~~

Edit Menu: Functions for editing a document (usually related to
 navigation and
 appearance rather than editing.).

Edit Menu for the two applications should be almost identical.  I
 recommend the KWrite
 menus because it is smaller and easier to browse through.

Edit
	Undo
	Redo
	--
	Cut
	Copy
	Paste
	Select All
	Deselect
	Toggle Block Selection
	--
	Go To Line...
	--

*Find in Files... should not appear in KWrite.
(Question: What is 'Editing Command'?)

Changes in Both:
-Editing Command should have an ellipsis (...) because it brings up a
 separate
 dialog.

Changes from Kate:
-Removal of a number of items to make the menu smaller.  (Most of them
 will be
 relocated to the Tools menu).
-Some reordering.  (Go To Line... for example was moved closer to the
 top.)

Changes from KWrite:
-None

~~
TOOLS MENU
~~

Tools Menu: External tools and other functions that are used to
 manipulate a
 document.
(Overlaps somewhat with Edit.)

Tools
	Indent
	Unindent
	Clean Indentation
	--
	Comment
	Uncomment

*Discussion: please discuss if this should appear at the top (More
 useful for
 people writing letters and English text) or at the bottom (because
 people who
 write source code don't spellcheck documents).

KWrite Changes:
-Spelling... moved to bottom.

Kate Changes:
-Creation of new Tools menu, moved items from Edit to this menu.

~~
BOOKMARKS MENU
~~

Bookmarks indicate marks in the document.

Bookmarks
	Toggle Bookmark
	Clear Bookmarks
	--
	(List of Bookmarks)

There are no changes.

Up for Discussion:
"Toggle Bookmark" is an awkward term and perhaps should be renamed to
 'Add Bookmark'.  If you want to delete a bookmark, perhaps add an 'Edit
 Bookmarks' style dialog.
Call it 'Add Bookmark' if you don't have a bookmark there.  If you do,
 grey it out.
Add another item called 'Delete Bookmark'.  If your cursor is on a line
 with no bookmark, then grey it out.  If your cursor is on a line WITH a
 bookmark, activate this item.

~~
DOCUMENT MENU
~~

Document Menu: To manipulate document settings for one specific
 document.

Document
	Back*
	Forward*
	--
	KDE Scripts >
		Convert file text to lowercase
		Test Shell Script
	Highlight Mode >
		Normal
		Sources >
		Markup >
		Scripts >
	End of Line >
		Unix
		Windows/Dos
		Macintosh
	--
	Show Icon Border
	Show Line Numbers
	--
	(Document List)*

*Not in KWrite

Changes from KWrite:
-I moved a lot of the options such as 'End of Line' and 'Highlight Mode'
 to this
 menu because they make more sense to apply to a 'document' rather than
 as a
 setting.  Settings implies global whereas these options apply only to
 the
 current document.
-I moved 'Show Icon Border' and 'Show Line Numbers' because they apply
 only to a
 specific document and not to the global settings.
*Comment: 'Show Icon Border' and 'Show Line Numbers' cannot be set to be
 displayed on default when you open a new file.  These options should be
 added
 to the "Configure <applicaiton>" dialogs to state "Display Line
 Numbers".
 Using the 'Document' menu they can toggle the Numbers on and off for
 one
 document.

Changes from Kate:
-Moved the 'Show Icon Border' and 'Show Line Numbers' from View to
 Document.
 The settings do not apply to the View, but instead to the Document.
 (Try
 opening a couple files, then setting one to 'Show Line Numbers'.  Click
 on the
 other document.  Then click back to the original document.)

 ~~
 VIEW MENU
 ~~

View Menu: Change viewing options (This does not appear in KWrite).
 Operations
 apply to the Kate window.

View
	Split Horizontal
	Split Vertical
	--
	Show File List
	Show File Selector

Changes from Kate:
-I moved 'Show Terminal Emulator' from 'Settings' to 'View' because the
 Terminal
 opens in a new View.  Showing the Terminal Emulator is not a setting.
(Fascinating facts: The command for this in Konqueror is called 'Open
 Terminal
 and appears under the Tools menu.  Another command called 'Show
 Terminal
 Emulator' is under the 'Window' menu.)

Up for discussion:
-Where to put 'Show File List' and 'Show File Selector': Under
 'Settings' or
 'View'?  They are within a view-style window, but are not the same as
 an
 Editing View.  I put them under 'View' because I believe it is more
 natural for
 people to look here than under 'Settings'.  However,

Up for discussion:
-Rename 'View' to 'Window' to be more consistent with Konqueror.
	My personal take?  I like 'View' a lot better, and I think makes more
 sense
 than 'Window' does.
-Maybe move the Documents List under 'View'.
	'Documents' applies to one document.  Why put them under the
 'Documents'
 section then?
	But the Documents list isn't a View-style operation.

~~
SETTINGS MENU
~~

Settings Menu: Settings for the global application, such as displays and
 behaviour.

Kate Menu:
Settings
	Show Toolbar
	Show Statusbar
	Show Path
	--
	Configure Shortcuts...
	Configure Toolbars...

Changes:
-Removed 'Show Terminal Emulator', "Show File List", "Show File
 Selector" for
 reasons discussed under 'View'.
-Added 'Show Statusbar'. (This should be on by default).  This is an
 option in
 KWrite that is not in Kate.
-Added 'Show Path'.  This is an option in KWrite that is not in Kate.

KWrite Menu:
Settings
	Show Toolbar
	Show Statusbar
	Show Path
	--
	Configure Shortcuts...
	Configure Toolbars...

Changes from KWrite:
-Renamed 'Configure Editor..." to "Configure KWrite..." to be consistent
 with
 all other KDE Applications
-Removed items that are redundant in other menus

~~
HELP MENU
~~

Help Menu: For help and other information.

The Help Menus remain unchanged.

Help
	Kate Handbook*
	What's This?
	--
	Report Bug
	--

*(In Kwrite, Kate should be replaced with KWrite).

-- by Irwin Kwan, 2002-03-24

["modifications-kate-kwrite-toolbars.txt" (text/plain)]

Heuristic Analysis of the Toolbars in Kate and KWrite

by Irwin Kwan (Emerald Arcana)
2002-03-24
version 1

Versions of KWrite and KEdit tested:
	Kate 2.0 (KDE 2,92)
	KWrite 4.0 (KDE 2.92)
~~

TOOLBARS:
~~~~~~~~~

KWrite has two extra buttons to increase the font size after the 'find'
 button.

*General KDE Note: the Find icon looks much too similar to a 'zoom'
 button.  Potentially misleading; perhaps forward suggestion to KDE-Look
 to consider alternatives

Kate has five extra buttons, all dealing with Window-splitting or
 file-browsing.

Back (back arrow): View previous document
Forward (forward arrow): View next document
Split Vertically (window with vertical line): Opens the same file in the
 same window, vertically
Split Horizontally (window with horizontal line): Opens the same file in
 the same window, horizontally
Close Current Panel (single panel): Closes the current window panel.

*Criticism: The Close Current tooltip is 'Close Current' , which might
 be confused with 'Close' (for close file).  A better tooltip might be
 'Close Current View'.
*Criticism: The Close Current icon is a single white square.  I
 recommend that it be changed to a white square with a red slash or
 similar to let the user know that it is a 'Cancel' action.
~~~~~
*A potential recommendation for General KDE Toolbars:
	Move 'Print' button to before the 'Close' button.
*Reason:
	It prevents a common problem where someone moves up to hit 'Save' but
 accidentally hits 'Close' because it's too close to the 'Save' button.
 (If you hit 'Print' then you can close the resulting dialog box).
	Consistent with the Menu ordering (for Kate)
*Disadvantages:
	People are used to the current order
	Save, Print, Close aren't as logical as grouping all File Operations
 together

General Observations:

KATE:
-In Kate, you cannot drag the file-list sidebar smaller if your file
 names are too long.
-Your View settings are not saved on shutdown.