List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Notes from "New OSD in Plasma 2"
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-18 14:55:31

On Samstag, 18. Januar 2014 13:34:49 CEST, Martin Graesslin wrote:

> Show it on all screens. That is create one OSD per screen. If that's not
> wanted I'd say we use what KWin considers the "active" screen. And we could
> take care of moving it there. (Active screen is depending on
> config option the
> screen with the active window or the screen which has the mouse).

Plasma-desktop could need the "active" screen to be exported anyway (taskbar needs to \
know whether a window can raise - see bug #246838)

KWin cannot take care of moving it if plasma determines the position, but i think \
that the client requesting the OSD should determine the preferred/requried screen \
(see brightness example for why) and KWin the position. KWin can then avoid window \
collisions (as is now, in "smart", maybe with a center preference) and esp. \
fullscreen windows in the multiscreen case (if the OSD doesn't care), resp. we can \
allow a particular placing for OSDs (what could more or less be a simplified config \
for a window rule on screen/placing/position) "Smart" placement is typically not a \
client job.

Most important (from client side) about this window type should be fully input shaped \
("output only") and denying input focus (latter "faking" override_redirect) We cannot \
enforce either from KWin's side if we're re-using an existing type.

Reg. the layer & fullscreen windows, we're more or less in the same dilemma as with \
"should this FS window unredirect?", ie. "when does what message is just annoying", \
ie. if one changes the screen brightness or the volume, one would likely not want to \
be informed about that while playing a video or game, while in the "chromebook" case \
                (FS browser as sub-OS) the fullscreen state is completely irrelevant \
                in this regard.
IOW: we need better information of the nature of a fullscreen window.

OT about flash: minitube.

Cheers,
Thomas