List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: High-Numbered mouse buttons
From:       Rick Stockton <rickstockton () reno-computerhelp ! com>
Date:       2013-03-25 16:17:48

 On 03/18/2013 12:27 PM, Thomas L=FCbking wrote:
> Can you provide a quick relation to kglobalaccel / KAction?
> I mean, kwin already has (custom) mousebtton interception (passively
> grabs buttons on at least inactive clients) and a -certainly
> improvable- way to configure them.
>

> So if this is to remain on KWin & X11 (for now, wayland fixes this
> automatically - at least for KWin) we could pretty much just add
> passive grabs for <random MB + modifier combos here> and deal them as
> it pleases us (hand them down to effects etc.) - that may take an hour
> or so at worst, but i thought the idea was to get this into
> KGlobalAccel into K/QShortcut and from there via kgloablaccel into
> pretty much each and every application automagically.
>
> Did i miss anything?

Thomas: You missed nothing. Except, perhaps that KGlobalAccel cannot be
built using the keyboard QKeySequence concept -- because there will be
no 'QMouseSequence', or resulting translation to 'QMouseShortcutEvent'
to Trigger a QAction.

But yes, whatever we have which now responds to MB, should be extended
to support all MB which the User desires to configure. Don't forget, I
want to include the capability of notion of "held down buttons" serving
as another kind of Modifier Key - allowing the User to provide
"modifiers" with just one hand. (In Qt5, the Qt::MouseButtons mask of
held-down Buttons is reliable for the entire width of Platform supported
Buttons - "Qt::XButton1", "Qt::ExtraButton5"Qt::ExtraButton7, and etc.).

With regard to KWin alone, this probably IS as easy as you say. Although
"1 hour" for you takes at least "20 hours" for me, I am MORE THAN an
order of magnitude less capable than you guys ;) .

See also - Reply to Martin's post (sending immediately, and CC to
plasma-devel), which wonders if this would be suitable GSOC material for
a vastly smarter and younger person than I.

> Cheers,
> Thomas

My thanks to you both (Thomas and Martin) for explaining errors in my
guesses.