List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KCM Authorization (was: Re: Review Request: print-manager on kdereview)
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-08-29 20:17:34

Moving to kwin.

Am 29.08.2012, 03:15 Uhr, schrieb Dario Freddi <drf54321@gmail.com>:
> The root of the problem is not in KAuth (which has been already
> redesigned in Frameworks to be completely async, btw) but in the fact
> that polkit doesn't conceive a window manager which makes the
> authorization dialog non-modal.

The modality description in the NETWM is extremely weak ("while clients
can" ... "WM can also" ... *sigh*) and there's no icccm defined concept of
modality but the bottom line is that the user can not interact with the
blocked window at all.

KWin so far (compiz eg. as well) only prevents passing the input focus to
a modally blocked client, but other events (notably mouse events) are
still let through (and then blocked by the client)

Because of the ultra weak specification we could probably change that w/o
breaking the NETWM spec the least (we probably could also just unmap the
blocked window w/o breaking the spec....) but that will of course not help
with other WMs

This does however not cover programmatic exits.
It's not possible (from the WM) to intercept signals (but they do oc not
send SIGTERM on pressing the close button) and it's completely* impossible
to block exit() calls that derive elsewhere.

If however input is prevented, stopping the client in addition *might* be
an option (you stop more than that one window, it's kind of application
modal)

Cheers,
Thomas

*well yes - speaking of ugly hacks it of course is... not an option i
believe.