List:       kwin
Subject:    [RFC] Behavior on failed deco plugin loading?
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-07-22 9:56:11

The "error()" function is actually implemented a NOOP, ie. not even the
warning will be displayed atm.
We /do/ have i18n strings so what could be done was to at least spawn a
"kdialog --error"

The comments also say to exit, but that /might/ be too harsh - even if the
default deco fails (ABI incompatibility in the oxygen library ;-) the user
may right now still have a loaded and working plugin.
Also we should probably not abort() on "NoPlugin" == true?

Proposal:

- "NoPlugin" == true -> run a timered dialog (ie. since that is in the
"canLoad()" function and we don't want to spam dialogs we just restart a
100ms timer to collect canLoad() calls and maybe also increase a counter
(if is attempt #1000 w/o showing a dialog, there's maybe some loop and we
should tell the user)

- DefaultDecoration fails to load -> check whether there's a loaded plugin
in in case use that, otherwise continue w/o any decoration (because that's
still MUCH better than unmanaged) and in any case yell a warning.

Thanks,
Thomas