List:       kwin
Subject:    The future of tiling? [WAS: remove Tiling specific "switch focus" shortcuts]
From:       Mathias Gottschlag <mgottschlag () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-04-01 23:19:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

(Sorry for not sending a "proper" reply, just subscribed to the list.)

I am one of those users who have used a tiling wm some time ago before
switching to KDE again. And even though I indeed prefer the tiling window
management system a lot, I did not switch back because of what I would indeed
lose. For example, plasma-desktop is unusable with awesome (and probably with
other WMs as well), and I do not want to miss the features plasma (and other
parts of KDE connected to it) provides me.

Martin Graesslin wrote:
> So in the current state I only see two possible long term solutions, either
> making it really good or drop it. Given problem number one I don't see how
> we should make it good.

> Now what has it to do with scripting? Well scripting could be a nice
> solution to keep the current state of a tech demo. It would be more clear
> that it is only an addition and that KWin does not want to be a tiling
> window manager (no competition to awesome). Furthermore it would be the
> proof of concept for the JavaScript bindings. But still: who's going to
> implement it?

I would love to see "proper" tiling in kwin, and as I discovered the thread on
the mailing list, I was just compiling an initial KDE checkout as I wanted to
look into tiling and multiple screens. However I have never worked with such a
large unknown codebase. I'd definately need a helping hand, someone who would
explain some basics to me as soon as I decide to start working on this.

About scripting in KWin: Is there any documentation about this? What classes
are exported, and where? A tiling extension would probably need to completely
override some functionality related to window placement, is this possible from
scripts?

Mathias Gottschlag