List:       kwin
Subject:    RFC: Removing of decorations
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-03-10 6:51:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

I was considering to clean up the window decorations in KWin. Currently we
ship:
* Oxygen (default)
* Aurorae (theme engine)
* b2
* laptop
* Plastik

At least for Plastik we know that it is currently broken with Compositing and
nobody is going to fix that. All decorations except Oxygen and Aurorae have
not seen any (real) commits since 2009. I consider them as bitrotting.

In the past we did one decoration removal where we moved the decorations to
kde-artwork. I don't think that kde-artwork should be the dumping ground for
visually outdated decorations. And with git that would not be possible anyway.

Another solution of the past had been to move the code to tag/unsupported
which also does no longer work. So what to do?

So I propose the following changes:
1. git rm b2 laptop plastik
2. move Oxygen out of the KWin source tree to have all of Oxygen in one place
3. rename "clients" to "decoration" as I personally find the name confusing
due to the fact that there is also a Client class in KWin

Deleting the old decorations will mean removing the only decorations which
work well for thin clients or X forwarding. But I don't consider this an
important enough use case to keep visually outdated decorations around.

Any comments?

Cheers
Martin