List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Task Switcher UI
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-02 1:26:48

Am 02.03.2012, 00:35 Uhr, schrieb Hans Chen <hanswchen@gmail.com>:

> Something like this?
> --------------------------------------
> Only show windows from
>  The current application [ ]
>  The current desktop [ ]
>  The current activity [ ]
>  etc.
> --------------------------------------
>
> It does seem quite nice, however, a possible problem I see is translating
> it to other languages.
Yes, and yes - could be an i18n issue  - but that is sth. translators have
to deal with all the time (eg. short strings can become considerably long
in other languages)

> Also "include the desktop" does imo not belong into that list and the
>> minimized state is at least a little different form the other ones
>> (state
>> ./. attribute) so i'd separate it with a line.
>>

> Agreed. Any suggestions how the minimized "filter" could be stated in a
> better way?
[ ] Show

>    2. I believe most options are binary,
>>>
>> Nope, not sure about the idea behind, but multiscreen is ternary as well
>> and therefore application, virtual desktop and activity should be as
>> well?!
>> -> tristate checkbox (+tooltip), radios, or two mutual checkboxes (ie.
>> you
>> can activate none or one toggles the other)
>>

> Urgh, I really hate "strange" checkboxes. :D
The better avoid them =)

[ ] Only use windows that are ( ) Minimized
                                                      ( ) not minimized

[ ] Only use windows on          ( ) this Desktop
                                                      ( ) other Desktops

Takes however more space.

> problem with comboboxes, in my opinion, is that it signals "here are a
> lot of
> options", and since there are a lot of options already it just adds to
fully agreed.

> As said I can't see why you would want a third option except for the
> minimize case, if anyone has any use-cases it would be appreciated.
Me neither, I attached Stefano (i don't think he's subscribed to kwin@kde)

@Stefano:
There's currently a question why the multiscreen option is ternary, ie.
you can select
* on this screen
* on other screens <- this is the questioned setting
* on all screen

Can you please elaborate on the rational behind?

------- OT

> P.S. Just as a side note, is this a common usage of entropy in this
> context? I ask because I've seen it before, but being a physicist, I'm
> used to the convention that higher entropy = more disorder. Confusing. :)

Shannon entropy, yes. Nothing directly to do with thermodynamics (directly)
see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(information_theory)#Relationship_to_thermodynamic_entropy
and also the following paragraph which links there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon's_source_coding_theorem

Actually it matches, because a disordered system cannot be compressed w/o
information loss.
It's confusing nevertheless and i though <thought
class="imprudent">Americans should perhaps stop abusing artificial terms
they probably don't understand just to appear smarter than they
are</thought>
(though to be fair, translating thermodynamic entropy to "disorder" is
simplifying and actually "information density" doesn't really cut it
either, one could however just have made up another word - *shrug* ;-)

Is "information density" a common English term?