List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Remove Xinerama related options
From:       XI <xizard () free ! fr>
Date:       2012-01-20 13:13:17

Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2012 13:09:18 Xavier IZARD wrote:
>  > Martin Gräßlin a écrit :
>  > > Hi workspace developers,
>  > >
>  > > KWin provides the option to turn off multi screen aware window
> management.
>  > > This results in windows being maximized over both screens or fullscreen
>  > > windows being stretched over all screens. These options make the
> code much
>  > > more complex and add confusing configuration dialogs to our
> workspace (see
>  > > If nobody sees any good reason to keep these options I would
> prepare the
>  > > removal.
>  > >
>  > > The reason is btw not to remove options, but to decrease the
> complexity of
>  > > the code as shown above and the fact that it is a break my system
> setting
>  > > which happened more than once that users complained about maximize not
>  > > working any more.
>  > >
>  > > Cheers
>  > > Martin
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  >
>  > Could be more clear about the behaviour of kwin without these options ?
>  >
>  > I suppose that the behaviour would be the same as when all these options
>  > were checked ? (ie, maximize & fullscreen work on each screen
>  > independently, magnetic borders, ...)
>
> yes, everything would be like the options are checked
>
>  >
>  > What about persons who group monitors to do a huge monitor panel ?
>  > (video wall).
>
>  > What about people who use very large monitor needing dual video inputs ?
> those can disable xinerama support through xorg.conf

OK, fine.

>  >
>  >
>  > My personal usage is (was) this one : I uncheck the option "Enable
>  > multiple monitor window fullscreen support" (all other options are
>  > checked). So that :
>  > -> When working on my computer, the maximized windows spawn only one
>  > monitor at a time, I get magnetic borders, ...
>  > -> When watching movie (fullscreen mode), the display spawns all my
>  > monitors thus doing a video wall.
>
> so you would only need one of the options, the fullscreen one? And in
> fact you only want that for vlc, right? You don't want the option for
> let's say Firefox?
>
> So e.g. a KWin script taking care of setting the fullscreen video player
> to all screens would suit you better, right?

You are right, the only option I used is the fullscreen one. I used it
with xine, but the same apply for vlc, .... Could also be useful for
picture viewer, but you are right, I wouldn't want it for other
applications.

I don't know what's your idea behind the "script taking care of setting
the fullscreen" ? Do you want to use "Special Window Settings..." menu
for movie players ? If it works for setting a fullscreen spawning all
monitors, that sounds a reasonable option for me.
Or maybe you are thinking about something else ?

Anyway, no need to say that if there is new feature to play fullscreen
movies on several monitors, user should have the choice to enable or
disable this feature (I don't think all xinerama users want to watch
their movie across all their monitors ;-))

>  >
>  >
>  > Sorry, but what I see here is a powerful feature of KDE that is going to
>  > disappear ...
>  >
>  >
>  > Regards,
>  > Xavier
>  >
>  > P.S. I am the "author" of the option "Enable multiple monitor window
>  > fullscreen support"
>
> Thanks for providing your feedback. This is appreciated and quite helpfull.
>

> Cheers
>
> Martin

Please see inline answers !

Regards,