List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: [RFC] Remove Xinerama related options
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-01-20 15:25:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 20 January 2012 14:13:17 XI wrote:
> > so you would only need one of the options, the fullscreen one? And in
> > fact you only want that for vlc, right? You don't want the option for
> > let's say Firefox?
> >
> > So e.g. a KWin script taking care of setting the fullscreen video player
> > to all screens would suit you better, right?
>
> You are right, the only option I used is the fullscreen one. I used it
> with xine, but the same apply for vlc, .... Could also be useful for
> picture viewer, but you are right, I wouldn't want it for other
> applications.
>
> I don't know what's your idea behind the "script taking care of setting
> the fullscreen" ? Do you want to use "Special Window Settings..." menu
> for movie players ? If it works for setting a fullscreen spawning all
> monitors, that sounds a reasonable option for me.
> Or maybe you are thinking about something else ?
I'm talking about the scripting interface for KWin. I just wrote a script for
that:

workspace.clientFullScreenSet.connect(function(client, set) {
  if (client.resourceName == "vlc" && set) {
    client.geometry = {x: 0, y: 0, width: 1280+1920, height: 1024};
  }
});

works like a charm. Vlc spans both screens when going to fullscreen. For 4.9
GHNS support for KWin scripts is scheduled. For more information about KWin
scripting see [1] (Be aware that the API changes with 4.9)

> Anyway, no need to say that if there is new feature to play fullscreen
> movies on several monitors, user should have the choice to enable or
> disable this feature (I don't think all xinerama users want to watch
> their movie across all their monitors ;-))
yes the script would have to be installed manually. But that's the general
idea behind the scripting. Allowing users to do much much more with the window
manager than what has been possible before.

Cheers
Martin

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/Scripting