List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: concerning dbusmenu powered menus in the titlebar
From:       Aurélien Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-04-11 21:21:06

On 10/04/2011 13:57, Thomas Lübking wrote:
>> There are certainly some glitches, but appmenu-qt has been used by a
>> vast number of people for about 6 monthes now and we haven't received a
>> massive backlash, so it seems most applications behave as expected with
>> it.
> That's not the point. I've no problem with hacking stuff somewhere and
> live with the glitches but if we seriously want this as promoted feature
> in KDE we should rather start out by doing it right and not rumble in like
> "hey, it's new - may break things but it's new and who cares about corner
> cases"
> Just assume that some company might run KDE, have internal/prop Qt
> applications and they're rather not running a desktop distro like Ubuntu
> ;-P

So, what do you suggest then?

>> I much prefer the implementation to be as transparent as possible.
> Me too, but it simply is not - and at least I cannot just wish it there :-)
> This part has however ultimately to be decided on k-c-d and not on kwin.
>
>> Proprietary 3rd-party developers usually care about being
>> compatible with Ubuntu, I think we can reap from this.
> Errm... Shuttleworth /can/ create a reality distortion field? ;-P
> Quite some companies purchased Qt to build mostly internal software which
> will never see the outer world.
> To be fair, one could argue that not all of them might run KDE/Gnome/Unix
> at all, but you'll have to understand that "guarantee for Ubuntu" is not
> the same as "guarantee for KDE/Qt"

No distortion field, just real conversations I had with 3rd-party
developers.

When I talk about proprietary 3rd-party developers, I mean developers
from companies releasing public applications, such as Skype, Amazon or
Google. These companies do care about how their applications perform on
Ubuntu.

>> upstreamed in time for Qt 4.8.  Unfortunately Qt developers aren't
>> responsive, maybe you can do some lobbying on IRC or on Gitorious? The
>> merge request is here:
> To be frank:
> I don't think they'll ever accept a patch which will backward break the
> compatibility promise for a subset of Unix desktops.

The design of this patch has been defined during some private
Nokia-Canonical meeting, so I am confident it is what they want. That
makes their silence even more disappointing, but I guess they are all
busy with the changes happening inside Nokia and have higher priorities
right now.

> Of course i can't say for sure, but my impression is that to get a chance,
> the patch must either subclass QMenu or be fully transparent (what can
> likely be
> done from Qt sources by
> a) reparenting QWidgetActions (ugly, but better than broken) and
> b) send events to the original QMenu (but eating it there at the end of
> the chain)

Not sure what you mean with reparenting QWidgetActions. What would be
the new parent?

Aurélien