List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: concerning dbusmenu powered menus in the titlebar
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-10 11:57:49

Am 05.04.2011, 00:39 Uhr, schrieb Aurélien Gâteau <agateau@kde.org>:

> I have no idea, I just know Qt docs say custom widgets work. It is
> stated in the doc of QWidgetAction:

"The widget is reparented away from the QMenu to the native menu view."
Seems. Must have been with the switch to Cocoa then... (didn't work
earlier)

> There are certainly some glitches, but appmenu-qt has been used by a
> vast number of people for about 6 monthes now and we haven't received a
> massive backlash, so it seems most applications behave as expected with
> it.
That's not the point. I've no problem with hacking stuff somewhere and
live with the glitches but if we seriously want this as promoted feature
in KDE we should rather start out by doing it right and not rumble in like
"hey, it's new - may break things but it's new and who cares about corner
cases"
Just assume that some company might run KDE, have internal/prop Qt
applications and they're rather not running a desktop distro like Ubuntu
;-P
Of course they could likely still turn it off, but i guess that's not the
goal of the patch.

> I much prefer the implementation to be as transparent as possible.
Me too, but it simply is not - and at least I cannot just wish it there :-)
This part has however ultimately to be decided on k-c-d and not on kwin.

> Proprietary 3rd-party developers usually care about being
> compatible with Ubuntu, I think we can reap from this.
Errm... Shuttleworth /can/ create a reality distortion field? ;-P
Quite some companies purchased Qt to build mostly internal software which
will never see the outer world.
To be fair, one could argue that not all of them might run KDE/Gnome/Unix
at all, but you'll have to understand that "guarantee for Ubuntu" is not
the same as "guarantee for KDE/Qt"

> What worries me right now is that the Qt implementation is a patch
> against Qt.  It is shipped by Ubuntu and by at least one other
> distribution (Arch Linux)
errr.. AUR is  /not/ "Arch Linux"....
Default Qt in repos does not have it.
Since Arch keeps stressing "we don't patch around stuff", please don't
call them liars ;-P

> upstreamed in time for Qt 4.8.  Unfortunately Qt developers aren't
> responsive, maybe you can do some lobbying on IRC or on Gitorious? The
> merge request is here:
To be frank:
I don't think they'll ever accept a patch which will backward break the
compatibility promise for a subset of Unix desktops.
Of course i can't say for sure, but my impression is that to get a chance,
the patch must either subclass QMenu or be fully transparent (what can
likely be
done from Qt sources by
a) reparenting QWidgetActions (ugly, but better than broken) and
b) send events to the original QMenu (but eating it there at the end of
the chain)

Cheers,
Thomas